HOW TO MAITAIN YOUR MENTAL HEALTH

 I have struggled with mental illness.

The meds I take usually help.

 


But sometimes when I'm stressed or overworked,

my symptoms are creeping up on me and I have to work really hard

to bring them back under control.

But I've learned a few strategies over the years

which helped me deal with my symptoms

before they become a big problem.

These tips have really helped me stay healthy and positive.

First, I try to focus on the positive things in my life.

I think of family, friends,

and members of the treatment team

who support me on my journey to recovery.

I know they are here to help me find a solution.

If I come up with a solution

instead of focusing on the negative,

I found myself feeling much better.

And I purposely make time for appreciation every day

and acknowledge all that I am thankful for.

I will write in my journal, send thank you cards to my friends,

or helping others.

When I focus on all the good things in my life,

I don't spend so much time thinking about bad things.

Also, connecting with others is really important to me.

Being around my friends and family

it always lifts my mood and helps my confidence.

 


These meaningful relationships

help me keep a positive attitude,

which gives me room for personal growth.

It is also essential for me to stay physically fit.

I try to eat healthily, exercise a little every day,

and get enough sleep as directed by my doctor.

I always feel great after exercise,

even if it's just a walk around the block.

One of the hardest things for me

was developing coping skills that worked for me.

It was hard to learn how to respond in a healthy way

to stress, sadness, criticism, and negativity.

When I learned what worked for me,

I was able to get back to being myself.

One way I learned to cope

I write about my negative experiences,

and how they made him feel.

I also got professional help when I needed it.

I learned to recognize the signs and symptoms

which I knew were warning signs that I wasn't doing so well.

And I've learned that it's better to seek help earlier

sooner rather than later.

It takes courage to ask for help

and I'm so glad I asked my wife

to help me find a therapist.

My therapist helps me in different ways

that my friends and family can't.



I am right

their support is also very important to me.

It took me a while

to start putting these strategies into play.

It didn't happen overnight.

I tried them one by one.

Some work better than others for me.

but everyone is different.

So I take medicine as directed by my doctor,

and when I'm feeling extra stressed

I know I have the tools to help me get back on track.

Talk to your doctor, try these tips,

and find strategies that work for you.

Comments